Translate

Bad Delivery

Photography, like anything else in life, can provide amazing and memorable experiences.  Then there are the moments where situations go wrong, and all a person can do is laugh later.  

This story is about the latter.                                                              

The Event and Deal

Around July 2013, I worked an event – a baby shower – for an old classmate back from my high school days.  I shot pictures for four and a half hours in exchange for monetary compensation.  Furthermore, as part of the deal, I was to deliver the pictures digitally the next day, and a DVD copy of the pictures within the week.  

The event was nice and fun.  The client and her husband were gracious hosts to everyone.  Even I felt nice and loose, and blended in with the background -- something every photographer should do.  

What could possibly go wrong?

What Went Wrong?

I mailed the DVD to the client two days after the event (the event was on a Saturday night).  Normally it takes one or two days for mail delivery within New York City.  When she did not receive the DVD after one week, I sent a second one, making sure the address was correct.  

When the second DVD did not reach the client again, I delivered the DVD directly on a hot summer day after the client recovered from childbirth, and apologized for the unreasonable delay. 

While the client was not upset about it, I was furious. One of the aspects I pride myself on is promising and delivering good service.  With the lack of delivery, it gave the perception of incompetence, which is never good for business.

I demanded answers from the Post Office both times, who did not find the DVDs at that time.    

Return to Sender

Around November 2013, I received both DVDs marked as return to sender in good condition.  I reviewed the addresses on the package.  Sure enough, they were the correct address that the client gave me.  Naturally, by the time the DVDs were returned, the client moved out of New York City.

Great job, United States Postal Service!  

Lesson learned.  Next time, I will use UPS, or just make the direct delivery myself.

No comments: